Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Sleep like a Baby??

From everything I’ve read Brynner was considered a “fussy” baby. From Day 2 we had to walk the floor endlessly bouncing a screaming baby in order for him to get to sleep. After doing this for a couple months each time he slept, we found bouncing on an exercise ball worked great and found it did help the process from two or more hours to sometimes just 30 min. That is, of course, if we could ever so gently lay him down without him waking up. If he awoke the whole process would start over. More then a few nights Brad or myself would have to take over so the other person wouldn’t get frustrated at our little guy who, no doubt, was also frustrated he wasn’t asleep by now.
By three months he was still waking up every two hours around the clock and it would take at least an hour to get him back to sleep during the night. Brad was telling his client about our sleep woes when she swore up and down how much a book had helped her daughter. That day Brad went and bought the book and I started to read “Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child” by Dr Marc Weissbluth. Brynner wasn’t old enough to start what he called Extension to get him to sleep (or commonly known as crying it out). So we waited until he was about 3 1/2 months old and tried to let Brynner cry himself to sleep that night. It was horrible!!! I can’t tell you how guilty and worried I was that he would feel abandoned or scared. The book said he would do some “protest crying” but they didn’t say anything about him screaming bloody murder! Poor sweetheart worked himself up so much we couldn’t handle it and couldn’t follow through for the first few attempts. Finally we were so exhausted we decided that no matter how long he cried we were going to start being consistent at night and not go to him as he feel asleep. The first couple weeks were really rough but after that he would typically cry for a ½ hour before he would fall asleep. Then we started with naptime in the day. His sleeping habits were getting worse during the day in that he would sleep more then 20 min. only if I held him. I couldn’t get anything done! It took him another two weeks to where he would cry typically for a ½ hour for naptime. He started to get up twice a night which was a huge improvement to the four or five times in the past.
Slowly but surely he improved until today I feed him and lay him down awake but drowsy and he’ll fall asleep (most of the time) without any crying at all. Strangely enough, however, if he falls asleep while feeding he’ll sometimes cry for 15 or 20 min. when I put him down. I’ll take that any day over what we had gone through in the past! He also needs consistency so if I do something that messes up his schedule, like taking him places during naptime; he has a harder time for the next couple days. As long as I hold my end of the bargain he now sleeps at night and at naptime by himself!! As of last week his day naps are getting consistently longer to where he’ll sleep anywhere from 1 to 3 hours. It’s heaven! I can get so much more done in the day. I look back and realize how hard it was to hear him cry but it was all worth it a couple months later! How nice it is to hear him wake up happy and play in his crib until I get him, a stark contrast from him screaming because he was still tired.
For any new parents out there I just wanted to let you know how much easier it became for us! Every baby is different but if you’re struggling in this area, this book sure helped our little guy!

10 people said...:

The Newton's said...

I remember dealing with sleeping issues. Only lucky for me I had two babies! I think that God took pity on me a bit because they never had quite the trouble that Brynner did. They definitely had crying nights, but I could handle them. They are almost three and they still wake up sometimes in the night, but of course it is worth it.

Cheri said...

Reading this post was like reading a journal entry from when Christian was a baby. It's amazing how much they're alike when it comes to sleep issues. You're smart to start the cry it out program early. We didn't do it until Christian was 8 months. It's SOOO hard to hear them screaming! The first time I tried the cry it out program I caved. It was too hard to listen to. But you're so right that's it's so worth it in the long run. Yeah! For sleep!!!

Zach 'n' Amy said...

Did I mention that I love the Carmen San Diego song? Anyway, I didn't have as hard of time with sleeping with either of mine, I think because Tatum screamed 99% of her waking hour so she was pooped by the time she fell asleep, and Tyger was just an easy baby. I have heard of this book before, from more than a few people. It must really work! Since Zach and I are TV buffs, one piece of advice we took from "Supernanny" that really worked was when we put them to bed and they scream or try to come out, just lay them back down or walk them back to bed without saying anything, without getting mad or without playing, so they aren't getting any kind of attention when they won't go to bed. Seriously, we did this a few times and we never had any more problems. I think Tyger was about 9 months old when we started.

Nichols family said...

Ashton loves that toy! We borrowed ours from Pig and Dani but they do have them at Babiesrus. The one I saw one there website has a few more extras on it. The bottom is a plasic saucer but it does have some type of spring in it that gives it a little bounce. It's nice because you can adjust the height of it as he grows. Here is the website...http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2585699

The Prices said...

I am so glad that you are getting your sleep now. I am sure that everyone in the house is happier. Give that little guy a hug for me. We are coming to Utah for a month during the summer and I am planning on coming to see you guys!

Alayna's Creations said...

I love that book! It worked wonders for me. When all your friends are complaining about their 3 year olds not napping or still sleeping in bed with them you can just grin and say "let me tell you about this book." :)
Great blog btw

Brooke said...

Wow, you poor thing! Way to go for sticking it out and being so patient through it all. I must have gotten lucky with my little man--and I hope to get lucky again with #2. Here's to hoping, eh?

Sycamore Girl said...

Tally is 12wks and has only slept through the night once. But I dont feel like its a big deal since when she wakes up, she just eats and falls right back to sleep. We are down to one feeding a night, and the other times she wakes up, I just give her a binky and she goes back to sleep. Before we introduced the binky though, she was a terror at night! All she wanted to do was suck, not eat- so we gave in...its been heaven since! Hopefully she wont have buck-teeth or anything! I'm glad you found a book and system that worked for you and B. Sleep is pretty much the best thing ever!

Sycamore Girl said...

LOL! Brynner's pee countdown started over! One reason I am grateful for a girl right now!

Cartier Family said...

I love, love, love that book! A friend of mine told me about it when Anne was first born and although she was no where near ready for any sort of schedule, it helped me to know what was ahead and that what I was going through was normal. She is only 2-1/2 months old so we still have time before we do the sleep training but already she takes really good naps during the day and she only gets up 1-3 times a night, and I think it is just because I learned what to look for and how to act with her at night (no playing, just like Amy said). Keep up the good work!

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails