Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Traditions

Now that we have a child I’ve really wanted to start a lot of traditions so that as long as our children can remember, we’ll always have done certain things. I truly believe that it brings the family together like nothing else can. I think it even brings a sense of security that the kids always know certain things are going to happen every year on this holiday etc... It makes the day so much more fun to look forward to. I would love to hear all the traditions you may have in your family as something to blog about or at least leave me a ton of comments so I can get more ideas!! Here are some ones I’ve either thought of, seen somewhere, or carried from one of our family traditions. And let's face it, most of them revolve around food! New Years Eve: -Fortune Cupcakes. Bake them as normal and cut a slit on the top to put in the paper fortunes. You could make your own and print them off the computer (preferred way...you can make them very personal and funny) or buy some at your local craft store. Once they are frosted you’ll never be able to tell they were ever cut. April Fools Day: -Make food that resembles something but is really something else (like the cupcake meatloaf a few posts back) Halloween: -The Family Night Phantom is another fun tradition where your family takes a treat to unsuspecting homes with a poem. "The Phantom Ghost has come to town to leave you some goodies, I see you have found. If you do not wish a curse to fall, Continue this greeting, the Phantom call. Post this Phantom where it can be seen, and leave it there until Halloween. Then make two treats and two phantoms like this, Deliver them to 2 neighbors who may have been missed. Deliver at dark, when there is no light, Ring the doorbell, run and stay out of sight! Have fun and remember, don't be seen....share in the spirit of Halloween!" Sundays: -We make waffles every Sunday. This week we made cinnamon and vanilla waffles, the week before it was blueberry. I can’t even begin to tell you how many waffle recipes I’ve tried, but so far this one is my favorite for the basic recipe: Basic Waffle Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2005 4 3/4 ounces all-purpose flour, approximately 1 cup 4 3/4 ounces whole-wheat flour, approximately 1 cup 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon salt 3 tablespoons sugar 3 whole eggs, beaten 2 ounces unsalted butter, melted (1/4 cup) 16 ounces buttermilk, room temperature (2 cups) Buttermilk Substitute: Add 1 Tbl. of Apple Cider vinegar for each cup of milk and let sit for 5 min. Vegetable spray, for waffle iron Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions. In a medium bowl whisk together the flours, soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. In another bowl beat together eggs and melted butter, and then add the buttermilk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combined. Allow to rest for 5 minutes. Ladle the recommended amount of waffle batter onto the iron according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Close iron top and cook until the waffle is golden on both sides and is easily removed from iron. Serve immediately or keep warm in a 200 degree F oven until ready to serve. Longest Day of the Year: -It's always in the middle of June. The idea is to enjoy the most sunshine on the longest day of the year. Take that day off of work/school etc... and let each family member choose an outdoor activity (Picnic, hiking, swimming, miniature golf etc..) Birthdays: -I thought it was so great that I got to have whatever I wanted on my Birthday for Breakfast and Dinner. -Celebrate 1/2 Birthdays! Buy a small gift and have cake and ice cream. These are just a few ideas. Let me know what you do as a family!

11 people said...:

The Richards family said...

I have to comment on many of your posts. First I love your story times!!! Those are some of the funnest stories and they gave me a good laugh!! I LOVE LOVED the story about the rice krispies!! you can really tell he loves his little boy. And last the Traditions you have and will do with your family are definatly the best times you will ever have, and the ideas you gave were so fun!! I want to start those traditions with my family too!! You are such a fun mom!! You are going to have a great time with that little boy and your family I can tell by your blogs!! i love to read your blog because it is so much fun~!!!!

Holmes Family said...

Hey Tahnie,
Well our traditions are pretty "traditional". I'm not the most creative person in the world and sometimes don't feel like I have enought time to make things just the way I want. We do enjoy having a big breakfast on Saturday mornings. I do it because it gets everyone out of bed instead of sleeping in. We can actually enjoy the day together!
I love your traditions. I think when you have kids, the real fun begins. I can't say too much because Chris and I were only married about a year and a half before our first child was here.
Keep up the good work. Parenting is the hardest job, but also the most rewarding! Take care, Jess

Zach 'n' Amy said...

When I was little we used to have "the valentines man" a mysterious knock at the door and he would leave a valentines day present on the step! Also at our big family christmas party we hold hands and sing christmas songs around the christmas tree and always get a goody bag with puffed rice treats, candy canes, orange. Another good memory was when we were little we used to get on the roof to watch the fireworks in July. Other fun ideas: new recipe day, breakfast for dinner night, yearly family camp out, green food on st patrick's.

Greatest American Fisherman ever said...

What the hell, What about Easter Nachos??? I can't believe you guys have already forgotten about Easter Nachos

The Prices said...

Ours is a little weird. My mom always baked a turkey in the middle of the night on Christmas eve...so when we woke up the morning of Christmas the entire house would smell of turkey! (It is a long story about how it came about) Anyway, then we would have turkey sandwiches for breakfast. I know it is weird, but that is still my favorite part of Christmas--waking up to turkey smell!

Brooke said...

You are such a cute mommy! We always have a huge family breakfast on the 4th of July and then spend the day 4-wheeling or fishing or something. My dad also helped us "catch" elves every Christmas--we'd set up intricate traps and in the morning, there were tiny little boots. Those sneaky elves would always escape, but we caught their boots! (Ken boots). And Easter weekend, or sometime near Easter, we would always visit the zoo to see the baby animals.

Nichols family said...

Hey guys! It was so fun to see pictures of little Brynner. He is so cute, I can't believe that he is 4 months already, time has gone so fast.
I'm so excited that you found our blog now it will be easier to stay in touch!

Holmes Family said...

Hey Tahnie,
We are going to have our blog be access only. I would like to invite you to continue to view our blog. If you want to please send an e-mail to holmesjessicamarie@yahoo.com
Jess

Cheri said...

Tahnie are you friend #1 in Amy's blog? I was trying to figure out who each friend was. I think I got three of them right?

Cheri

Cheri said...

Cute new background! I was SO close to putting this exact background on my page! Great minds think alike!

Cheri

Alayna's Creations said...

I love the idea of sharing traditions. I can always use some great new ideas because I too aspire to be the "fun mom" :)
One of my favorites that I started this past year is the Christmas Elves. They come to visit our house the whole month of December and each morning they hide in a new place. Sometimes they have gifts, sometimes they have been up to some mischief. Kaitlyn loved it.

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails