Friday, October 24, 2008

Memories of Grandpa Moon

My Grandpa Moon passed away on October 8, 2008. I was asked to speak at his funeral and tell of a few memories I had of him as a Grandchild. I wanted to share with you my talk...

Along with my sadness at Grandpa's death, I also find something to be glad about. I’m glad he is not suffering and that he is at peace. I’m glad for having known him and for the things he taught me.
Lives which have been closely tied together for 63 years cannot be separated without pain. So my thoughts today are particularly with Grandma. I hope you enjoy and find some comfort in the memories I have of Grandpa. Grandpa showed me how to be still, quiet, and gentle while he fed the birds outside in his yard. I was in awe as I watched all the chickadees and the occasional blue jay fly down from the trees and land all over his hat, shoulders and hands. One time he even let me wear his hat that he had placed bird seed on. He said I had to stand as still as a mouse so they would come to me. Some did come but they wouldn’t flock to me like they did Grandpa. Grandpa encouraged our wild imaginations from the time I was very young. One of the largest Aspen trees in his yard had a hollowed out portion at the base of it. He showed my sister, Cheri, and I and proceeded to tell us about the elves that lived in that tree. He helped us build a small mailbox right outside the hole. I don’t remember what we would write on the tiny pieces of paper, but I do remember we would anxiously wait for the elves to get our letter and send their reply. Sometimes two or three days would pass but eventually there would be a little note from the elves that lived in Grandpa’s big tree. Grandpa had a cute sense of humour and loved to tease us grand kids. Each year he would set the bear trap in his fireplace and let us know that this year he was going to catch Santa Clause and play with all of the toys. As you can imagine, we were horrified at this thought! When Easter would come around he would tell us how he was going to use that darn bear trap again and get the Easter bunny and make some good rabbit stew while he ate the candy and eggs. I also vividly remember him cautioning us about not eating the black seeds in a watermelon because if you did, you’d have watermelons growing out of your ears! I recall being very troubled and thoroughly inspecting each piece before I’d put it in my mouth. Grandpa also had a sweet tooth. You couldn’t get out of seeing Grandma and Grandpa without being offered candy or chocolates. A few years ago I made a chocolate cake for a family gathering. We took some food over to Grandma and Grandpa along with a few pieces of cake. Grandpa thoroughly enjoyed that piece of cake and happily accepted a second piece ensuring he scraped the plate clean so he got every last morsel. He didn’t eat much then so we were all happy to see his appetite even if it was for chocolate cake. These are all special memories to me and to my brother and sister and I feel honoured to be the one to share them with you. I made some of that chocolate cake today for the gathering afterward and hope you’ll have a piece….. or two and remember all the sweet things about my Grandpa. I know through prayer we can be comforted in our times of need if we but ask our Heavenly Father. I have a testimony that I will be able to see him again. Families do go on forever. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

7 people said...:

Sycamore Girl said...

What beautiful memories you have of your Grandad. I actually shed a few tears remembering my own grandpappy and the fun things he used to do with us. I cant wait to see what memories my kids will share with their grandpa. Families are the best!
I am sorry for your family's loss.

The Richards family said...

Tahni I heard about your grandpa and it was the week I moved so I was not able to make it to the funeral. Thank you for sharing your memories with us! That is a beautiful tribute to him, it reminded me of the memories I had of him and growing up with you!!

zach said...

This reminded me of my grandpa too, he passed away about a year and a half ago. Grandpa's are so special!

DancinnAnna said...

I too loved Grandpa Moon. In the short time I knew him, he made an impact on my life. Thanks for sharing your memories. Jerel and I talked about his memories on the drive up to Woodland.

Cheri said...

I was hoping you'd post your talk! You did a great job. I don't know how you got through it without crying! We're lucky too have such wonderful memories with Grandpa!

Anonymous said...

You did a great job and looked beautiful. Your grandpa was quite the tease, but also had a very soft side. He was always kind to me (when he wasn't teasing...) I remember going hunting with him in that old blue truck bouncing all over the road and him telling whoever was driving where to go on the road. It was appropriate he go to heaven in the fall--his favorite time of the year.

Billie Sue said...

Tahnie,
Thank you for posting that beautiful, thoughtful remembrance. You kids were so lucky to grow up with your grandparents so close and able to partake of their love. You are a beautiful person and I am glad to have known you your whole life, as well as your wonderful Grandpa. It does hurt--even with the knowledge we have--we just miss them so!

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails