Monday, October 6, 2008

Toilet Paper Sorrows

Toilet paper. Yes that's right, this entire post is about toilet paper. I'm very particular how toilet paper is put on the holder. Let me be clear....The one and only way toilet paper should be hung is so it rolls off the top and down the front. Just in case anyone is confused, I have included a correct and an incorrect illustration below. Let's just start there.

Correct

Incorrect

May I also add I have taken toilet paper for granted. Particularly the way it hung so wonderfully and so correctly there on it's little holder all those years. It was so wonderful in fact that little Brynner wanted to try it out. He only wanted to roll it once so I shared with him that, for some people, you roll it once and it's over-you're hooked-addicted. I'm sad to say he was one of those people. He just can't get enough of the rolling and the piling up and rolling again of the toilet paper. I'm trying to ease him off it so I took the first step and reversed all the toilet paper. So if he does roll it, it will make a nice little circle on itself without piling up on the floor. I know. I know. It goes against everything I thought I'd teach my child, but I just had to step in before it really became a problem. I mean, what if he started to hoard the toilet paper under his bed?! You can imagine what a dilemma that might be one day. Nothing is worse than being caught without toilet paper-nothing. I'd sacrifice anything to help my child, but I must admit when Brynner is fast asleep, I sometimes sneak into the bathroom.... and turn the toilet paper around just so I can remember how it use to be between us. None of the awkward pauses when I'd reached for it and need to stop, yet again, and remember to roll it from the back (aka: the totally wrong way of putting toilet paper on it's little holder). I know this is only a temporary fix until Brynner figures out that toilet paper can roll both backwards and forwards. When that day comes, I may gather up some friends and family and spring an intervention on him. He needs to know how his toilet paper addiction is affecting others around him. Bottom line is I don't want the same thing happening to your family. So I thought I'd quickly share how the toilet paper addiction started off so cute and innocent. He'd pull himself up by the tub in my bathroom and turn the water on and off a few hundred times while I was taking a shower or getting ready in the morning. Then one day while I was in the shower, he took my towel, threw it into the tub, and turned the water on and crawled away.
The gateway addiction
Things were never the same after that and eventually ended in toilet paper sorrows. If you're going through the same thing, I'd love to hear about it. Together we can conquer this toilet paper addiction! Thanks for listening.

6 people said...:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, the joys of baby in the bathroom. I am still laughing over that grumpy picture of Brynner though. I loved the pic of you in the clouds with him. Such fun this blogging but I keep forgetting to look!

zach said...

Toilet paper sorrows never end. My kids loved the heap o' toilet paper when they were babies, now they they think they need at least half of a roll to wipe their bums after poopoo. Our cat also loves the stuff, she somehow finds rolls and carries them all over the house before she finally shreds them. Better that than the couch I guess. And Zach thinks that the toilet paper holder is just a decoration on which an empty roll hangs, actually changing out the roll when it is empty is just too much for him (I don't know why, he spends hours there). P.S. Thank you for educating the world about how to hang toilet paper. It's a pet peeve of mine also.

Holmes Family said...

Honestly, the toilet paper fiasco never ends. My husband, not me, is extremely anal about TP. It has to be Charmin Extra Soft, which is the most expensive kind, and our kids love to use lots of paper, and go to the bathroom 10 or more times a day; each. So, we go through alot of TP. I guess now that I've got two kids in school we've slowed down quite a bit on our consumption. Word of advice, keep the door to your bathrooms shut as long a possible while he's still young, the bathroom is the one place your kids shouldn't play, but because they shouldn't they always want to!

The Newton's said...

You are so funny! The toilet paper problem never ends because once they stop playing with it then they start potty training. That is when they pull way too much out tear it all messy then rewind what they didn't use. It looks awful, but I have to force myself to look away.
P.S. Did you get the email I wrote you on Friday about taking pictures? If you can't that is fine, but I just need to know either way. Thanks

Sycamore Girl said...

Obviously everyone who commented has clean bathrooms. The door to ours is permanantly closed- not because I am afraid of Tally finding the TP (which she is too short for still and still crawling- although she does pull herself up to stand now!) but more so because the bathroom is just filthy. Even after I clean it- its still filthy. Who knows what she could catch if she played in there! Eeewwwww!

The Richards family said...

I am laughing so hard. I have the same issue with the toilet paper ( ilike it the RIGHT way)and Wacey grew up with it the opposite(the WRONG way) and we have had marrital toilet paper issues. I am glad someone else has the same T.P. OCD as me!! Oh no wonder cute Brynner loves toilet paper!!

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails