Thursday, October 2, 2008

Story Time-Oatmeal

I can't make a decent bowl of Oatmeal. I would stop there but it probably needs to be a documented and proven fact for you to believe me. That, or Brynner and Rusty both hate oatmeal which is practically impossible in every way. Our dog will eat anything. Well that's not entirely true. He won't eat two things...and I can only think of one thing right now-olives. So back to the fact that I can't make oatmeal.

A couple weeks ago I made Brynner some strawberries and cream instant oatmeal. Yes it was the instant kind, the kind with sugared dehydrated strawberries in it and I happen to love it. I put in the 1/2 cup recommend amount of water. Pop it into the microwave (Not to go off on a tangent or anything but I think I've watched Sandra Lee WAY too much for one life time. Does it bug anyone else how often she uses the word Pop?! Makes me insane and there I go and use it!) for the recommended minute and wait. I can see the deliciousness bubbling up through the microwave window. It beeps. I take it out. I realize it's probably the same temperature as liquid lava. I put it in the freezer. I wait. The only problem is Brynner doesn't want to wait any longer. So I start to jump up and down in my PJ's singing Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree as animated and loud (with full blown hand actions) as I could. After the third round and a little Itsy Bitsy Spider thrown in the mix the oatmeal had finally cooled down enough and this is kind of how it went down.
Me: Mmmmm...Strawberry Oatmeal...
Brynner: Gag
Me: You OK buddy? Here's some more! Hmmm... Oatmeal!
Brynner: Dry heave
Me: My gosh are you OK? Do you have something in your mouth? Let Mama see....what's in there? .... Nothing, try again. Hmmmm...Strawberry Oatmeal!
Brynner: Gag. Gag. Dry Heave
Me: OK maybe you don't like this kind. We'll try another day.
A week later....
Me: Hmmmm....Cinnamon Oatmeal!!!!
Brynner: Dry Heave
Me: See look, Mommy will take a bite!! Hmmmm...Oatmeal!!! Your turn!!
Brynner: Gag. Throw up.
Me: Oh No! Sorry baby, no more oatmeal I promise!
What do I do next? Scoop the left over yummy oatmeal that suddenly doesn't look that yummy, into Rusty's bowl. And it kind of went down like this...
Me: Hmmm....Oatmeal!!! (Scrape, Scrape).
Rusty: chomp, slurp, inhale....... Gag. Gag. Dry Heave. Throw up.
Me: You've got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!! My oatmeal is NOT THAT BAD!!!
So it's now documented and proven that I shouldn't be allowed to make oatmeal. My dog who will not eat olives and one other thing I can't remember; now won't eat olives, one other thing I can't remember, AND my Oatmeal. Sigh...

13 people said...:

The Prices said...

It can't be that bad!!! By the way, just read your about the Roska's on the side and it was FUNNY!! You are too cute!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
britta said...

yeah!! now we can be blogging buddies!!!

Sycamore Girl said...

Tahnie, you are SO hilarious! Very funny writer you are! I can see poor little Brynner gagging. Oh man. You should try again. Only this time with the kind that isnt instant. I hear it tastes better. ;) Tenth time is a charm.

Tahnie said...

Brad reminded me that the other thing Rusty won't eat is Spinach! I know you were all dying to know so I thought I'd tell you. Hey, this is kind of fun. I might comment on my own posts under various names and everyone will think I have lots and lots of blogging buddies! But I think I just blew my cover so I guess this will be the one and only time I'll comment here so I wanted to make it as painfully long as possible. Just when you think I'm done it just keeps coming....and coming...and...OK I'll stop now. Well maybe not right now..... OK..seriously, I'm stopping riiiiiiight NOW!

Zach 'n' Amy said...

You ARE a funny writer! I would have never known if it weren't for blogging. Have you ever tried mixing milk in with the instant oatmeal after you make it? It almost tastes like home made. And about dehydrated strawberries, I'm right there with you! Yum yum. Was it me and you in high school that would eat it plain out of the package?

Greatest American Fisherman ever said...

That is the funniest thing I have heard or seen all day!

Sycamore Girl said...

I always ate that stuff too- although I'd have to say that I enjoy Peaches and Cream. It was a staple for breakfast after swim practice. Funny-now that I think about it, i'd bust out the quick instant stuff, and Jamie L. would pull out her homemade recipe- fresh oatmeal mixed with raisin, nutmeg, brown sugar and other mystery ingredients that blew my instant paste out of the water. Whatever! She can have her oatmeal! And eat it too!

Mmm! Milk (soy) is great over the top like Amy says. Is there anyone who DOESNT wet it down with milk?

Sycamore Girl said...

Hank wont eat shrimp. Pretty sure he's a garbage disposal othewise.

Anonymous said...

Chris wont eat shrimp either.

Ooh, look at all your comments!

DancinnAnna said...

What a darling story. Thanks for sharing. At least he didn't throw up on you, as at Emily's birthday party on your dad!!

Greatest American Fisherman ever said...

What does Brad think of your oatmeal? I think you need to make me oatmeal and I will be the judge!

Holmes Family said...

This is way too cute! Not the dry heaving and throw up, but the fact you are so dedicated as a mom to making sure your child has a well balanced diet. In time he might like it. Only 1 of my 3 will eat it.

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails